At least 16 people were killed and more than 130 wounded after Russian drones struck a shopping centre in Kryvyi Rih, central Ukraine, authorities said. The attack occurred on Friday and has drawn strong condemnation from Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.
The casualties included children, with regional governor Oleksandr Hanzha saying 22 children were among those injured. At least 29 people were reported to be in serious condition, including five children.
Kryvyi Rih is the hometown of President Zelenskiy and has previously been targeted during Russia’s ongoing war against Ukraine.
Second Drone Hit After Initial Strike
Zelenskiy said the attack appeared to involve two waves, with a second Russian drone hitting the shopping centre around 30 minutes after the first strike.
According to the Ukrainian president, the second attack came after emergency responders had arrived at the scene, raising concerns that rescuers may have been deliberately targeted.
Zelenskiy described the attack as “absolutely cynical and despicable” and said Ukraine would respond. He also called on the international community to hold Russia accountable.
Rescue teams continued searching through the damaged site after the attack. By early Saturday, nine people were reportedly still missing, including two children.
Children Among the Injured
The large number of casualties has raised particular concern because several children were caught in the attack.
Officials said five injured children were in serious condition, while the wider number of children among those wounded was reported at more than 20.
Emergency workers continued clearing rubble and assisting victims as authorities assessed the full extent of the damage.
The attack has added to growing concerns over the intensification of Russian aerial strikes across Ukraine.
Other Deadly Attacks Reported
A separate Russian drone attack in Ukraine’s southern Mykolaiv region also killed at least four people, including three children, according to Ukrainian authorities.
The latest strikes followed another deadly Russian attack on Kyiv, where a ballistic missile strike on Thursday killed 17 people.
Russia has continued to increase its use of drones and missiles as fighting on the ground approaches the four-and-a-half-year mark.
Ukraine has also stepped up long-range attacks against targets inside Russia, including oil facilities and logistics infrastructure, as both sides continue to target strategic assets.
Zelenskiy Vows Response
Zelenskiy said Ukraine would respond to the latest attack and urged international partners to take action against Russia.
The Ukrainian president has repeatedly called for stronger international pressure and additional measures to protect Ukrainian cities from missile and drone attacks.
The latest strike in Kryvyi Rih is expected to intensify international concern over the continuing attacks on civilian areas as the war enters another prolonged phase.
Rescue operations and efforts to identify those missing were continuing as authorities worked to assess the full consequences of the attack.
Also read: Russia Strikes Ukraine Ports, Turkish-Owned Ships Hit





