Type to search


11 Militants killed by Pakistan near Afghan Border

11 Militants killed by Pakistan near Afghan Border

A day after Pakistan pledged to take preventative measures against terrorist attacks, security forces killed 11 militants, including a key commander of the banned Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan, in a raid in South Waziristan, while two separate attacks on police in Lakki Marwat and Dera Ismail Khan injured five officials.

According to the military’s media wing, security forces raided a TTP militant hideout in Wana and killed at least 11 terrorists, including TTP commander Hafizullah and two would-be suicide bombers, in an intelligence-based operation.

The operation “thwarted a major terrorist activity,” according to an Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) statement issued Thursday evening.

“During an intense exchange of fire, 11 terrorists were killed, including terrorist commander Hafizullah alias Tor Hafiz and two suicide bombers.

“A large quantity of weapons and ammunition were also recovered from the terrorists who were killed,” the military’s media wing said.

The militants had remained “actively involved in terrorist activities against security forces and target killing of police in the district,” according to the statement.

TTP commander Hafizullah, according to local officials, was involved in attacks on police stations in Azam Warsak, Raghzai, and Wana, as well as extortion and kidnapping of locals.

The 40-year-old militant, who belonged to the Wazir sub-tribe Tojay Khel, had joined Uzbeks in Wana before 2007, when Mullah Nazir, a local militant, and local people joined forces to drive Uzbek militants out of the area.

“Hafizullah stayed quiet for a while but later joined the banned TTP and went to Afghanistan. He returned to Pakistan after Mullah Nazir was killed in a drone attack, according to local officials, who claimed that TTP affiliates had gone to Afghanistan but Wana members were allowed to return.

According to sources, those who returned to Pakistan eventually banded together under Hafizullah’s leadership.

“Hafizullah is believed to have been involved in attacks on security forces following the failure of peace talks between the government and the banned outfit,” according to the sources.

They also added Following his return from Afghanistan, Hafizullah narrowly avoided being attacked by unknown individuals who opened fire on him, seriously injuring him.