The United States has paused the processing of Afghan Visas after a deadly attack on two National Guard members near the White House. The decision was announced on Friday as the Trump administration introduced tougher immigration rules.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said the government had “immediately” stopped issuing Afghan Visas. He said the step was needed to protect public safety after the shooting in Washington, DC, earlier this week.
The suspected attacker has been identified as Rahmanaullah Lakanwal, an Afghan national who entered the US under Operation Allies Welcome. He is accused of ambushing National Guard members Sarah Beckstrom, 20, and Andrew Wolfe, 24, during their patrol. Beckstrom died on Thursday, while Wolfe remains in critical condition.
The CIA confirmed that Lakanwal once worked for a CIA-backed unit in Afghanistan. He moved to the US shortly after American and allied forces withdrew in 2021. On Friday, US Attorney Jeanine Pirro upgraded his charges to first-degree murder and two counts of armed assault with intent to kill.
In a related move, US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has halted all asylum decisions. Director Joseph Edlow said the agency will review each case to ensure maximum security checks. He also ordered a re-examination of all green cards issued to immigrants from “countries of concern.” This review includes Afghans who arrived through Operation Allies Welcome.
President Donald Trump called the attack a “terrorist act.” He criticized past immigration policies and said he would review all green card applications from 19 countries. He also repeated plans to suspend immigration from what he described as “Third World countries.”
Since returning to office, Trump has taken several steps to limit migration. These include setting the 2026 refugee cap at 7,500, the lowest level since 1980.
In other related news also read US to Review Green Card Holders from 19 Countries
The freeze on Afghan Visas and asylum decisions marks one of the toughest actions of the current administration. The changes will impact thousands of Afghans seeking to enter the US and many already waiting for decisions. Federal agencies expect a long review process as the investigation into the DC attack continues.



